The water tower in Eggenburg was built in 1870 to supply the steam locomotives of the Franz-Josefs-Bahn on the Vienna-Eggenburg route with water. The water tower has two circular steel tanks with a diameter of approx. 5 m, into which the water from the nearby well was pumped. The water tower could also be heated so that the water would not freeze in winter.
On September 27, 1965, the last steam locomotive was running and the water tower was shut down. The water tower has been privately owned since 2020 and is being converted into a motorsport museum.